I began this blog for family to see photos and read about what we've been doing. Now, I use it for that, but I use it for my thoughts, too. That can be pretty transparent considering our blog isn't privatized anymore....all that to say, this is a post about something I don't ever want to forget, and I don't want my kids to forget this. He is ALWAYS faithful. Always. Regardless of what He is calling us to walk through, or what we are beginning to see friends have to walk through...He is carrying us - He is carrying them.
After our neurology appointment last week, I realized that the Holy Spirit took over for me during the appointment in an astounding way. Mike had offered to go with me...I had said, "Honey, we have so many appointments. This one will be easy. Save your time off. Let's use it for a hard appointment." At the last minute, I realized that I was going to have 5 of our 7 kids with me. No big thing. I got this.
When the Neurologist came in to give me all the information, he brought in his entire team. Nikki mode would have thought, "WHY is he bringing in all the doctors? What's wrong? Are they dying?" Holy Spirit mode, "Hmm...how nice to meet everyone!" The doctor explains things for a while, then says, "We should probably go into my office without the children so that I can show you their MRI's...would that be okay?" Nikki mode..."Yep...someone is dying! TELL me what is wrong right here in front of the kids!" Holy Spirit mode..."Sounds great!! I would love to see their MRI's"
In the office, it took me about 10 solid minutes of his explanations for me to understand that he was saying BOTH boys needed neurosurgery, and that it wasn't going to be easy. Nikki mode...I would have passed out - seriously. I hate needles. I hate hospitals. I hate seeing children in pain or sedation. Holy Spirit mode..."So, I guess this means that I need to cancel our beach trip...that we won't get to see family that we haven't seen in a while...that we won't get to see those beautiful Destin beaches." Even as the doctor and his group kept saying to me..."Really, you are handling this so well. This is a lot to remember," I kept thinking, "what is the big deal?"
It wasn't until I got in the car that I realized that GOD carried that appointment. And, if He is faithful to carry me/us through something as "simple" as an appointment. He will be SURE to carry us through their surgeries and pain and recovery. He amazes me....how blessed I am to be His child.
Monday, July 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heehee I can so relate. The amputee team kept looking at me even during and after surgery. I was so at peace it was surreal. In a waiting room with people crying, the surgeon and I are cracking jokes. Atleast at that moment Cav's life had been the most severely impacted by surgery and I was totally at peace.
ReplyDeletewhat a wonderful thing to see in hindsight. almost better than realizing it in the moment, i think! i am so thankful you have peace!
ReplyDeleteerika
I spent time with your two precious boys at New Day last year. Precious!!! Very near and dear to my heart since my youngest two kids are both adopted from China and both have spina bifida.
ReplyDeleteWe have been through detether surgeries with both of them.
Both reacted differently and recovered in different ways, so I will gladly offer any advice.
More importantly, they will be in my prayers.
Also, one of the best pieces of advice I received was about surgery time. One of my best friends told me to not even think about what the surgeon said as far as surgery length. Good thing because we were told that my daughter's surgery would be about 2-3 hours and ended up being over 6 hours!
Prayers for you and your sweet babies!!
Yes, He is so faithful!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you felt covered by God's spirit. True that in our humanness, maybe a normal reaction would have been tears, questions, heartache....but instead you received "the peace that passes all understanding." I am praying for the same covering as we will meet with the Neurosurgeon on Monday for Raimey. Continued prayers for your family.
ReplyDelete~Angie J.
Thank you so much for your prayers for our sweet Brooke during her heart surgery- we are praying SO hard for CJ and Landon!!! Surgery is so scary...Brooke's open-heart is definitely not on my short list of "fun things I have done!!!". But, it is amazing to see how God carries you through these experiences, and uses them to shape and mold you!!!! We actually live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but my daughter Meredith goes to school at Samford...in Birmingham AL! She is very good friends with the Ferrills- they have become her "second family" over in Birmingham- filling the gap where we can't be!! We are SO thankful to them for being a family to her for us!! I know she worked with your CJ and Landon last summer- I'm sure she would LOVE to see them again sometime!!!! Email her at meretoering@gmail.com!
ReplyDeleteHugs to you all-
Shyla