Thursday, July 12, 2012

Memories are a funny thing

I remember a couple of summers ago, I was talking to my friend Janet.  We were talking about the horrible drought we were having here, and she said, "You know, my grandfather has lived in Alabama all his life, and he always says if there is rain the first couple of weeks in July, we will have a good, wet summer.  If the first couple of weeks are dry, we are going to have a dry summer."  I remember where I was standing when we had this conversation.  I remember looking around at the dryness around us.  And I remember it every July when I am wondering if we are going to have a wet or dry summer.

Here is what I remember about our neurology appointment today.
"Good news...no brain abnormalities."
"Both boys...tethered cord."
"Landon much worse than CJ."
"...neurosurgery..."
"...hospital for 5 days..."
"...keep them lying down 10 days after that..."
"...best to do them both together.."
"...risks about 10-15%, but without surgery 70-80% chance of problems in the future..."
"...you are handling this so well...talk to your husband..."

I guess that is a good amount to remember considering I had 5 of the kids with me at the appointment.
I guess I dun good not to pass out because my brain was swimming.


5 comments:

  1. Oh Nikki, my heart goes out to you. I know this is not what you wanted or expected to hear. Our prayers are with you as you digest, and mae decisions. I'm ready to cook and babysit when needed.
    I can't believe you remember that conversation---we had a whole lot more brain cells between us at that time=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying Nikki!!!! I'm with Janet...ready to help in the best way for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicki,
    We are praying for you guys!It does seem that the medical complexity is typically more than we were aware of initially. Certainly, Timothy has ended up with a few extra things since our trip home in February. However, I'm sure you feel like us. We are all truly blessed to have God place these children in our lives who have such a deep passion to love a mama and a baba! Your family is blessing them daily with a wonderful future and house filled with love!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. ((HUGS)) This journey we take has many unexpected twists and turns, but nothing that the Father didn't already know. We, too, are in the process of discovering more issues that our little one has. It is so hard, and some days I feel like I can't do it, but I can, and so can you, in His strength. Let's hold on to that together!

    ReplyDelete